Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Top 10 things I love about Memphis

About a year ago Laurin posted her list of top things she loved about Memphis and Lee decided to weigh in with her’s earlier this week. In light of the fact that Memphis has been confirmed, by a very narrow margin, as the 2nd most dangerous city in America (see article here) and the 2nd most miserable (see article here), I decided it was a great time to put my two-cents in on this topic. In no particular order, here are the top 10 things I love about this city:

1. Shelby Farms: As Laurin and Lee both noted, this really is a Memphis jewel. One of my favorite parts about Shelby Farms is the Wolf River Trails. As expressed here, I love trail running and the Wolf River Trails on the south side of Walnut Grove are an excellent place to get a great trail run in.
2. The Pancake Shop: This little place on Summer Avenue serves hands down the best pancakes in Memphis. If you don’t believe me give them a try for yourself! You'll see exactly what I mean.
3. Fall drives down Central Avenue
4. Tiger basketball! No, I couldn’t leave this one out. In all honesty, I simply love all things University of Memphis. I enjoyed the time I spent there, I cherish the friendships that began there, I think highly of the business school, I like Tiger football, and more than all of those… I love Tiger basketball.
5. My job: Yep, obviously my job is in Memphis and I love it. I like both what I do and where I do it.
6. Grace Church: I could probably go on for days about the things I love about Grace Church. The truth is this is the only thing on this list that really has eternal significance. I’m so very thankful for my church.
7. Gibson’s Donuts on Mendenhall: The best donuts you will find ever. Gibson’s holds a special place in my heart because it used to be owned by the same man (Mr. Howard) who started the much beloved Howard’s Donuts in West Memphis. Gibson’s must still have the very same recipe. Because I grew up on Howard’s and it is near and dear to my heart and because this post is about Memphis, Gibson’s officially makes it on my list.
8. The Memphis Marathon and Half Marathon: This is a great race and it keeps getting better and better as each year passes. The Memphis Marathon was my very first marathon and because of that alone it has significance. The Half Marathon is just plain fun and you have to love the fact that this race supports another one of Memphis’ jewels, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
9. BBQ: If you like bbq (of the pork variety of course) and you live in Memphis this has to be on your list. You won't find better bbq anywhere else in the world. A few of my favs include: Neely’s Interstate BBQ, Germantown Commissary, and Central BBQ. I’m getting hungry just thinking about it!
10. The Orpheum: I love going to The Orpheum. It is simply one of my favorite places in Memphis! To name a few wonderful events I’ve seen there (and some multiple times): Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, The Lion King, Death Cab for Cutie, Breakfast at Tiffany’s (as part of the summer movie series), and in June… Wicked!

So, what are some of your favorite things about where you live?

4 comments:

Laurin said...

Brienne, I still LOVE Memphis and would move back in a heartbeat. = ) If only for your #1 and #6. Driven by the Pancake Shop so many times but never eaten there. And I always remember Walnut Grove but I think you're right~Central Avenue is beautiful too!!!
For now, I'm really enjoying L-ville but Memphis will always just be home for us.

Wren said...

Okay, I thought no one else had ever been to the pancake shop...we love it too!! And we are going to Wicked on July 7...can't wait...I'm also a BaT girl too!! I bet you an I were at a lot of the same plays/summer movie series way back when!!!

Lee said...

we have been talking about Gibson's donuts for weeks now! I went there with my sister and her kids awhile back and kept telling Josh, "let's go there!" then recently a friend of ours recommended going there and said he goes every saturday mornigns with his kids.

Wren said...

Brienne,
I figured you and your mom were at the wedding..mom asked me to assist her, but I've had too much prep work going on with the craft fair coming up!

And, it's me who does the monogramming! I got an embroidery/sewing machine in August and I have loved it!!

We really need to get together...maybe for a cookout at our house?? We'll be opening the pool soon. Anytime as long as it's after May 16th.
Talk soon!