Monday, May 4, 2009

ONE of my favorite Lewis quotes

The quote below has long been one of my favorite CS Lewis quotes. I re-read it this weekend in a book I was reading by another author (seeing as I couldn't work in my garden because of the monsoon we are currently in the midst of here in Memphis). I believe Lewis was spot on... we are indeed far to easily pleased with the finite pleasures of the world.
"Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased." -C.S. Lewis from 'The Weight of Glory'

2 comments:

Lee said...

these have long been some of my favorite words of his also, brienne! thanks for letting me read them again.

Michael Grubbs said...

I absolutely love CS Lewis -- my favorite quotes are his tirade on the word "Christian and Gentlemen" and these two gems: "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." "You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body."