Tuesday, January 6, 2009

haunted

It is quite frequently that I am haunted by thoughts from the previous Sunday’s sermon at GC. Not to disappoint, this week has been no different. Last week's sermon was an issue I’ve been wrestling with for some time now and thankfully the Lord was gracious to provide a few more thought provoking questions in regards to glorifying God in the workplace and the development of a God-centered view of vocation. I think for far too long my heart has tried to default to the view that there is a difference between a secular vocation (calling) and the sacred. This past Sunday we were exhorted to remember that in reality there is no difference between the secular and the sacred… a distinction simply does not exist. One of the heaviest take home points for me was the exhortation to gaze on Christ’s glory and as I do, pleasing God through my vocation will become an expression of my love to him (real worship!).

At any rate, maybe some of the questions that have been haunting me this week with spur you on toward a more God-centered view of your vocation, whatever your calling is.
-Am I always doing my work well (genuinely, heartily) as unto the Lord? Colossians 3:23
-or are my ears sensitive to the applause of men?
-Do I remember that the reputation of Christ is at stake as I flesh out my vocation?
-Is it my aim in the workplace to draw attention to Christ or myself?
-Do I exhibit the humility of Christ in my vocation?

No comments: