Friday, January 9, 2009

by popular demand....

"If God doesn't rule your mundane,
Then He doesn't rule you, because
that's where you live."
-Paul Tripp

This quote has had quite an unexpected response since I posted it about a week ago! And in the referencing of this quote (here, here and here) others have expanded on it a bit. At the encouragement to do the same, here is my list of things that tend to be somewhat mundane and therefore subject to the exclusion of Christ at times. I am greatly thankful for these mundane things but also long to be intentional about recognizing Christ’s rule in these mundane moments. So here is my “Mundane List” and specific questions to ponder in regards to recognizing Christ’s kingship in the midst of each:

-My morning cup of coffee: Do I use the few quite moments as I sip my coffee and eat my breakfast to ponder Christ? Do I thank him for his gracious provision of this food and drink?
-A random weeknight run: If I’m heading out solo, do I consciously plead for the Father’s help in taking every thought I have while running captive to Christ?
-Certain days at my job (hey, these day’s happen to everyone, right?): Do I recognize this my vocation falls under his kind providence and that each moment I am at my job is yet annother opportunity to draw attention to Christ?
-Paying bills: I am so grateful that I have a job and for the provision of money to be able own a home and have power to it. Am I wise in how I use my money so that it best glorifies Christ? Am I obedient in using the smallest of things he has allowed me to purchase to bring honor to him?
-Driving: I am so thankful I have a good, reliable car. Especially in Memphis, Christ’s rule is exercised in this area by the simple fact that I arrive safely at my destination. [Note: However, his kingship wouldn’t be compromised if I didn’t arrive at my destination in one piece either.] Do I use the moments in my car to take a brief reprieve from the world and focus on Christ? Or do I simply fill the time with random ‘noise’ from the radio or cell phone?
-My family and friends: I really do have the best of both of these and I am so thankful for each of them! I see or talk to most of them so often I probably take them for granted. Do I really see each of them as tangible expressions of God’s love toward me?

I’m sure I could continue on and on but the goal here for me is to make a conscious effort to remember that Christ rules over even these things. May we all indeed be subject to his kingship in every area of our lives including our morning cup of joe.

3 comments:

Lee said...

can we say 12 instead of 1130? of course, the oven man called and wants to come tuesday.

Anonymous said...

Brienne,

May the Lord graciously continue to assist you in the universal applications of the gospel to all of life.

That Christ may have the preeminence!

Jordan

Anonymous said...

"If God doesn't rule your mundane,
Then He doesn't rule you, because
that's where you live."
-Paul Tripp

Thanks for surfacing this. I am using it tomorrow in our State of the Church Address. Great post!