Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Rutherford.

As if you couldn't tell upon visiting my blog (see quote above), I am a HUGE Samuel Rutherford fan. I think over the last year or so, for various reasons, he has quickly become, by far, my favorite saint of old. O to have just a fraction of the love for Christ that Rutherford did would be divine. If you've never read anything by Rutherford, I highly recommend Letters of Samuel Rutherford. And if you just want to take an abbreviated look at Rutherford, The Lovliness of Christ, which contains shorter selections from Letters, is great too. In hopes to whet your appetite to read Rutherford for yourself, I submit to you the quote I've been meditating on this day...

"Our salvation is fastened with God's own hand, and with Christ's own strength, to the strong post of God's unchangeable nature, 'I am the lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed' [Mal 3:6]. We may play, and dance, and leap upon our worthy and immoveable Rock; the ground is sure and good, and will abide the assaults of hell and the world." (-Letters of Samuel Rutherford)

No comments: