Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Mute Math

Since it has become increasingly trendy in some circles of the blogosphere (example: here and here) to post a bit regarding Mute Math, I thought I would jump on the bandwagon today!

I must start by noting the following two things: (1) Mute Math has become my current favorite “running soundtrack” and (2) sometimes I have a bad habit (especially when running) just to listen to the music (the beat, rhythm, etc.) and not really process the words to a song. Such was not the case yesterday as I was squeezing a quick run in after work; I actually began to take notice of the words to Mute Math’s song Control. Most specifically, Mute Math sings the following words in this song (emphasis mine):

Take control of the atmosphere/ Take me far away from here/ There is no better loss than to lose myself in you/ In a parachute to glide, I am captive in your sky/ Surrender has somehow become so beautiful/ Take control of the atmosphere/ Take control of the atmosphere/ You can take my world you can fill the air/ Take control, take control/ Such a beautiful surrender/ Move me up through the darkest clouds/ Till I've lost in the sun every shadow of doubt/ There is no better find than to find myself with you/ In a fog you are all I see/ I'm inviting you closer with each time I breathe/ Surrender has somehow become so beautiful/ Take control of the atmosphere/ Take control of the atmosphere/ You can take my world you can fill the air/ Take control, take control, take control, take control/ Such a beautiful surrender/ Take control of the atmosphere/ Take control of the atmosphere/ There is no reason I should breathe unless you're in the air/ Take control/ Such a beautiful surrender/ Such a beautiful surrender/ And I'm calling out Would you take control/ And I'm calling out

As I ran, I listened and actually processed these words, I was reminded that there is indeed no better loss than to loose myself in Christ… for what “loss” is this really? I was reminded to plead for grace and strength to stifle the rebellion in my heart and embrace complete surrender to His good pleasure… for this is indeed beautiful. I was assured that there is indeed no greater find in this life or the next than finding yourself hidden with King Jesus and seeing Christ formed in you. So that “reminder” might have been more than I bargained for or expected in a short run on a random Monday afternoon but Mute Math, thanks for the reminder nonetheless.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

control is absolutely amazing. i remember them performing it in bloomington and just being mesmerized by it. the words are so powerful. i love to think of a beautiful surrender (much like david crowder's beautiful collision). amazing, amazing stuff.

Wren said...

Hey Brienne!! I love the name of your blog. It would be fun to see you and catch up with you! Tell mom and dad and brother we said hi!

Anonymous said...

great job on this! while i would never want to mess up a favorite pasttime such as listening to great music with something as miserable as running (after all, why run unless somebody's chasing you is what i always say!), if it works for you, that's awesome! in reality, i wish i could do more running, but walking on my creaky old knees will have to do for now...