Monday, June 2, 2008

Neighbors

Good neighbors are indeed hard to find. I can say with great confidence that I have had some very “interesting” (to put it politely) neighbors in my life. When I lived in West Memphis, I had neighbors that used to smoke weed in their garage and you could smell it up and down my street. When I was in college, I had some neighbors that consistently slammed doors and ran up and down the hall, making far more racket than reasonable appropriate at 3 A.M. Here in Memphis, I had one neighbor that came over, knocked on our door and cussed my mom out when we cut down our tree from our yard—go figure? At any rate, good, bad, or just plain different, the call to show Christ and speak the truth regarding Christ to our neighbors is still the same.

With that said, I have been excited to meet my new neighbors over the last couple of weeks (they seem very nice) and in the short amount of time that I’ve known them, I am already grateful for them! My dad and brother accidentally locked me out of my house Saturday and I had to search for my neighbor (who was at the pool) and ask to use their phone, which they very graciously let me do. All ended well and within a short amount of time I was able to get back in my house.

Over the past couple of weeks, as I’ve interacted with my new neighbors, I have been consistently reminded of the call to consistently labor in prayer on their behalf and intentionally and strategically, clearly hold Christ out before them. As my church prayed through Matthew 28:16-20 in yesterday’s corporate prayer service, I was reminded yet again of our responsibility to do so. May the Lord be gracious and open our neighbors’ eyes to see Christ clearly! May the Lord ignite our creativity as we search for practical was to minister to their needs. May He also increase our sensitivity to the Holy Sprit and may we seize the opportunities He has prepared for us to speak about Christ. And may we all be reminded as we depend on Christ, seeking to take the Gospel to those farthest away from us, never to neglect those in closest proximity to us.

No comments: