Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Memphis in March

I really love Memphis in March. For several reasons… March in Memphis typically marks the arrival of more “spring-like” weather, at which point I decide it is time to polish my toenails and joyfully drag the flip flops out of the closet. With spring comes the sense that things are new again, the Bradford pear and tulip trees all start budding and the tulips and daffodils pop up and hostas reemerge from their winter underground (I would also like to report that my hydrangeas made it through the winter… yea!).

Anyway the point of this post is not the weather or even my gardening but rather probably one of my favorite reasons for my love of March: college basketball. Yes my friends, it is at this time of the year that all the drama that makes up college basketball is out with full force and thankfully the Memphis Tigers are right in the mix for yet another year. Though I love Tiger basketball and the excitement and intensity this team plays with on the court, perhaps one of my favorite things about Memphis basketball is the effect is has on this city off the court. This city rallies together in unity to support this basketball team regardless of race, economic status, age and it is astounding. I love the fact that it is not at all weird to start up a conversation in Starbucks with a total stranger who is proudly donning their favorite U of M apparel about the Tiger’s latest accomplishment. The unity that this team brings Memphis in the month of March is great and it makes me imagine about how fabulous true unity in this city would be if it was under the banner of Christ!

So, this March I have been praying the Lord would be gracious to grant Memphis wider inroads towards true unity under the banner of Christ…. And this would be infinately greater than any National Championship banner the Tiger basketball team could ever bring back to hang from the rafters at the FedEx Forum.

1 comment: