Monday, February 2, 2009

treasures

I have always loved to read. As a little kid I would try (and sometimes quite successfully) to "hide" in my room so I could finish a really great book I was working on instead of doing my chores. Though much has changed since those times as a little girl, my love of a good book hasn't.

So, below you will find two lists. First, my top 10 all time favorite books. This is quite an elite list and I'm sure that as time continues to fly by this list might change a bit but generally, these are the books that have literally changed my life. I wish I had time to comment on each of them but I fear everyone would tire of reading before I could adequately summarize the impact these 1 books have had. Secondly, you'll find just a few of the books that are on my list to read soon (maybe you'll see some book reviews on the blog soon!). This list is indeed every expanding! Lastly, I must make note of the fact that these two lists exclude a ton of amazing books that have had a significant impact on my life... maybe I'll leave that list for another post. Happy Reading!

Top 10 all time favs (in no particular order)
The Valley of Vision, Communion with God (by John Owen), Letters of Rutherford (by Samuel Rutherford), Daily Light, Death of a Guru (by Rabi R. Maharaj), The Knowledge of the Holy (by AW Tozer), The Pursuit of God (by AW Tozer), Because We Love Him (by Clyde Cranford), A Chance to Die, The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael (by Elisabeth Elliot), and Desiring God (by John Piper)

Next on the List "To Read"
The Practice of the Presence of God (by Brother Lawrence), The Believer’s Joy (by Robert Murray McCheyne), The Glory of Christ (by John Owen), Redemption Accomplished and Applied (by John Murray), Born Slaves (by Martin Luther), To the Golden Shore, The Life of Adoniram Judson (by Courtney Anderson), God at Work (by Gene Edward Veith, Jr.), Repentance (by Richard Owen Roberts), The Complete Works of E.M. Bounds on Prayer (by E.M. Bounds), Overcoming Sin and Temptation, 3 Classic Works by John Owen, Looking Unto Jesus (by Isaac Ambrose), The Reagan Diaries (by Ronald W. Reagan), and 1776 (by David McCullough)

5 comments:

Lee said...

i bought owen's Sin and Temptation in 2007 and haven't read it yet. if you get to it before me, let me know what you think!

Christine said...

How come Twilight isn't on your list? :)

HouseOfSmooches said...

Haha you sound so much like me!! I would "hide" every chance I got just so I could read...but I had to come up with new hiding places every now and then :)

Stephen read 1776 and said it's a great read!!

Stephen said...

Yep, 1776 is definitely a great read. Pretty much anything by David McCullough is good. I especially enjoyed his biography of John Adams.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brienne. I'm Julie's sister and have come to enjoy your blog. I was checking out your book list and highly recommend anything by McCheyne. We love him so much our third child's middle name is McCheyne.

Leah