Tuesday, June 17, 2008

a weird reminder regarding the Lord’s kind providence

Yes, I am still having plumbing issues with the shower in my upstairs bathroom (fun.). Subsequently, water is somehow (yes, it is still a mystery how) leaking through my ceiling and into my kitchen floor. I was originally told by the plumber that the water was somehow getting out of the tub and soaking through the grout and a tiny hole in the tile floor, through the ceiling, and finally ending up in a puddle on the kitchen floor. Thankfully, this past weekend my dad was around to help me seal the grout and fix the hole; this was supposed to solve my problem according to the plumber. The repair man was scheduled to come yesterday afternoon and repair the nice hole in my ceiling. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), the repair man called to reschedule, stating that he was sick and therefore canceling all of his remaining appointments for the day. I must admit, I was a bit disappointed as I am somewhat eager to have the unsightly hole in my ceiling repaired. My attitude quickly shifted this morning as I went downstairs after my shower to grab some breakfast and found another puddle in the kitchen floor! I thought the problem had been solved! Suddenly, I was thankful the repair man turned up sick (is that sad?) and couldn’t repair my ceiling yesterday; otherwise I would’ve never known that my leak issue wasn’t really resolved!

In the midst of this seemingly small event, my heart began to be thankful for the providence of the Lord. I am thankful that something which seemed so frustrating in the beginning (my ceiling not being repaired when I wanted it) turned out to be such a blessing (I now know I still have a leak!). Therefore, through a somewhat odd and random event, my heart was filled with gratitude for the kind providence of the Lord in all of my life. This little situation has served as a big reminder that in all things— from my plumbing, to my job, to whatever path the Lord leads me down next— everything is governed and ordained by His righteous right hand. There is not one path I walk down that He has not providentially laid out before me. And when the road seems rough, unstable, or unclear and we haven’t the strength to cling to Him for the duration of the journey, thankfully, He clings to us the entire way. Though we may never fully comprehend the providence of our Lord in this life, we can trust that it is indeed good and kind because it is the overflow of a God that truly loves his children and longs to give them that which is best for them namely, Himself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your second paragraph is filled with some of the most insightful words i have read in quite some time. isn't it truly amazing how the lord created us to never have a small decision. the decision for your dad to grout the floor (thinking that fixed the problem). the decision of the repair man not to come. all seem somewhat insignificant, but they lead to something bigger. each day were here, the more we should realize just how important it is to strive to be in the will of the lord.