Thursday, June 12, 2008

my next vacation

While running hills this morning at 5:30, I got started talking to a running buddy about her recent "girl" vacation, which was a hiking trip in the Grand Canyon. And although I just returned from my 2008 vacation about a month ago, I couldn't resist the urge to look around and start thinking about possibilities for my 2009 vacation.

Ever since my family visited the Grand Canyon several (maybe 6-7) years ago, I have dreamed of going back and hiking down in this great canyon all the way to the Colorado River. This trip definitely seems like the way to do it!!!

You start by flying into either Phoenix, Flagstaff or Las Vegas and driving about 3-5 hours (depending on where you flew into) to the trailhead at Hualapai Hilltop, located on the Havasupai Indian Reservation. Next is an 8 mile hike to the Havasupai Village, which contains no automobile access. From this village to the Colorado River is approximately a 10 mile hike and the view along the way is amazing... nestled along the way is some of the canyon's most spectacular waterfalls as you make your way to the Colorado River. However, the vast majority of the visitors to the canyon never see these beautiful falls due to the hike involved to access them. Additionally, the Havasupai Indian Reservation only allows so many visitors per year therefore, further restricing access to these majestic falls. This definitely doesn't sound like your "typical" vacation but then again, typical can get boring. So why not go find an adventure?!?! Any takers?

1 comment:

HouseOfSmooches said...

My friends did this hike before they moved from Phoenix and absolutely loved it! It sounds so beautiful.